Welcome

Please enjoy the wacky world my pencils and paints create for you. As an illustrator I try to bring you a world in which you have not read before or have seen in movies yet. My minds eye comes from behind the curtain in that chocolate factory that Willie Wonka didn't let you peer behind. Now I am opening it for you! Come in and take a look...

Monday, June 6, 2016

THE PROCESS

 I have a quirky way of illustrating. It started years ago before I owned a Mac or Photoshop I would copy drawings I had done with a Zerox and enlarge them and place them on large canvases to paint in front of large audiences while a live band played. In truth the idea might of sprouted from a Star Trek Clorforms set.

You remember them...You took thin plastic cut out of figures and furniture and stick it to a background scene.

So what I do is draw the figures' faces on one paper large enough to get the details. Then the bodies on another. If I keep the paper smaller than 11" x 14" I can fit it on my scanner. If I did the whole image on one sheet that could fit on the scanner the faces would be too small. God love what Howard Pyle could do in such a small space, but I can't... Then I can draw the backgrounds.

I like to scan the drawings before I paint them, just in case. If I screw up a painting, I can reprint it and start again. Then they are brought into Photoshop and I play with an electric Colorforms. Only difference now is I can shrink or enlarge the figures and furniture. I move things around until I get the right composition and the save it. Then years later after looking at it in a book for awhile and I don't like it, I can rearrange things or add new figures.

So take a look below and watch the process. Enjoy!


Cheers,
~Chris

To find out more about Chris Dowgin and his books feel free to visit Salem House Press at www.salemhousepres.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment